Following an early career in mental health in the UK, I was a school psychologist in the Victorian Department of Education until 1990 when I took up an appointment at the University of Melbourne.
The roles included training of preservice and post graduate educators, co-ordination, course development, instruction and supervision of school psychologists, and extensive research supervision at the Masters and PhD level. Since 2010 I have been a Principal Research Fellow at the University of Melbourne, continued a program of research and participated in professional and not-for-profit boards as a Director and President.
- AM Order of Australia
- Honorary Fellow of the Australian Psychological Society
- PhD. School of Education, La Trobe University
- M.A. Psychology,
Chisholm Institute of Technology
- Dip.Clin.Psych. La Trobe University
- B.A. University of Sydney
- Dip.Ed. Sydney Teachers’ College
- Graduate Australian Institute of Company Directors
- Member (AM) of the Order of Australia (General Division)
- Honorary Fellow Australian Psychological Society
- Stress Anxiety Research Society: Lifetime Career Award
- The Early Years Coping Cards (Short listed for DEECD Early Years Awards 2010 and received a High Commendation).
- APS College of Educational and Developmental Psychologists, Award of Distinction
- Knowledge Transfer Award, University of Melbourne. Coping Skills for Adolescents: Prevention and Intervention.
- University of Melbourne Medal for Research Excellence, Faculty of Education.
- Distinguished Scholar Award, American Educational Research Association Special Interest Group Stress and Coping in Education
I currently serve on:
- Editorial Board Australian Educational and Developmental Psychologist
- the Board of the Centre for Positive Psychology Board University of Melbourne
- Veteran’ Children’s Educational Board
- Education Advisory Committee King David School
A selection of past positions held:
- National Children’s Mental Health and Wellbeing Strategy Steering Committee
- Director and President of OZ Child
- Director and Vice President Australian Psychological Society (APS)
Consultancies have included:
- Child Abuse Consultancy.
- Review of Master of Professional Psychology (MPP).
- Social Emotional Learning – Review of Draft Curriculum. Victorian Assessment and Curriculum Authority.
- Grimwade House Leadership Team (Melbourne Grammar School).
- Social Emotional Learning Assessment Literature Review. Victorian Assessment and Curriculum Authority.
- Promoting mental health in schools. Department of Education and Early Childhood Development.
- Smarter Schools National Partnerships: Low SES School Communities Project. Social and Emotional Learning: Capacity building in schools.
- Ethical Issues considered by Human Research Ethics Committees for Department of Health and Aging.
- National Evaluation of the Seasons for Growth Program.
- presented at 155 National and International Conferences, including 31 keynote and invited addresses
- conducted workshops and consultancies
- co-supervised PhD theses, Masters and Doctor of Educational Psychology Research Theses.
Many of these theses have been professional practice oriented.
What I do
Focus on building resilience and fortitude through coping skills to help people:
- live a more fulfilled satisfying life,
- develop ways to succeed in their workplace, their relationships, their studies,
- short courses
- keynote addresses
- targeted talks
In the Media
Building resilience and wellbeing in the early years:
Coping strategies for parents and children from CALD backgrounds
Erica Frydenberg and Janice Deans